Blackmores Pregnancy & Breast-Feeding Gold provides an ideal daily dose of 20 important nutrients for mother and baby including folic acid, iodine, DHA and vitamin D3. With a low-constipation iron.
Provides 20 important nutrients in total including a daily dose of:
- 500 ?g of folic acid which, if taken daily for one month before conception and during pregnancy, may reduce the risk of having a child with spina bifida/neural tube defects
- 150 ?g of iodine for baby’s brain, visual motor skills and hearing development. Iodine supports the development of normal intelligence and IQ
- Low-constipation iron
- 1000 IU of vitamin D3
- Odourless and concentrated fish oil, rich in DHA for baby’s brain, eyesight and nervous system development
All nutrients are important during pregnancy and breastfeeding. The following provides additional information on some special nutrients important during pregnancy and breastfeeding, that are in Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Gold.
Folic acid ? According to guidelines in Australia* this product contains 500 ?g of folic acid, as it is recommended that women of childbearing age take 400-500 ?g of folic acid per day for at least one month before pregnancy and for the first 3 months of pregnancy.
Iodine Requirement for iodine is increased during the whole pregnancy, especially the first 20 weeks.
Australian women are typically not receiving enough iodine. The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) recommends that pregnant and breast-feeding women take an iodine supplement containing 150 ?g*daily.
*NHMRC Public Statement: Iodine supplementation for pregnant and breastfeeding women. NHMRC, 2010
Iron – Approximately one quarter of pregnant women report getting constipated when taking high doses of supplemental iron. That is why Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Gold contains a low-constipation, low-nausea, gentle on the tummy form of iron.
Omega-3 fatty acids – During pregnancy there can be an increased sensitivity to tastes, especially in the first trimester. Odourless fish oil means pregnant women can get the benefits of omega-3s without the fishy aftertaste.
B group vitamins – B vitamins support cellular energy production, with vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B5 all involved in cellular energy production. Vitamins B2 and B12 help the body use folic acid.
Vitamin D – Vitamin D supports the development of healthy bones and teeth. A review of nutrient intakes in pregnant Australian women suggested that dietary intakes were below recommended levels for vitamin D, while surveys of Australian neonates have shown approximately 40-57% of neonates have insufficient vitamin D levels
Zinc, vitamins C & D and betacarotene for immune health support.
Adults ? Take 2 capsules a day with meals, or as professionally prescribed.
- Not recommended for children under 12 years
- Do not exceed the stated dose of folic acid. If you have had a baby with a neural tube defect / spina bifida, seek medical advice
- This product contains selenium which is toxic in high doses. A daily dose of 150 ?g for adults of selenium from dietary supplements should not be exceeded
- Drink plenty of water